Ahh, healthy living. It seems like everyone and their grandma is trying to be "healthy" these days. It actually turns out, there are just a tiny bit of stuff we can do to help improve our lives. Things like, you guessed it, get on a swing. See me, I'm doing it!
|This is me... being healthy|
- Reduce stress. Out of all the things to so is reduce stress. Sure, it's easier said than done but this mom of three, family and business owner has to find a way. Have to. Many times I find myself with fatigue and migraines that make my life even harder. To reduce your stress, add a little yoga to your day, exercising (especially running), journaling or meditating are great. Another great way to lower stress is weight lifting, at least for me it allows me to release my stress. They don't call them punching bags for nothing. Talking and laughing with your partner or friends is also an excellent way. You can also try spending time in nature, reading and writing. One more thing to add to my favorite things to do is watch novelas, or spanish soap operas. I know it's kinda weird, but at the end of the day, I lay in bed and watch this one show. I don't do much TV watching during the day, but sometimes I need to. In the evening I enjoy focusing on something else other than my life, a good movie or novela, allows me to do just that. it's a win/win scenario.
- Get enough sleep. Here's another easier said than done. For me what made it easier though was finding out just what my "optimal" sleep hours I should be sleeping every night. Just let yourself drift off to sleep and wake up naturally, without any alarm. If you go to bed and get up at the same time every day, it will be your needed amount of sleep. Without good night’s sleep, your energy level will crash and you will crave carbs and sugar more because will need the energy. I know i've had to rely on pre workout shakes just to get me going when all I needed was some good snoozing.
- Drink plenty of water. I can't tell you how important water is. It is so important for every cellular function in the body, including digestion and flushes toxins from your body and keeps your digestive system working well, which is a healthy habit for your metabolism. Dehydration, believe it or not, it is the culprit of so many ailments that we take for granted, including headaches and fatigue. I can always tell when I'm headed in that direction. If I can't remember when I last drank water, then it's been too long. You need at least 8 glasses of water just for normal functioning so more than that is even better. But how on earth do I drink 8 glasses of water a day?! I used to think. Well, it's easy once you get in the habit of substituting water for any other sugary drink with your meals. First thing is the morning before breakfast drink a glass, with breakfast, with lunch, snack, dinner. That's five right there. Reaching your goal of 8 glasses is easier when you substitute water for all your drinks. Sure I feel like a cheap-o at restaurants that I always ask for water but I know it's better for me... and it's free! You can't argue with free!
- Don’t skip meals. Whatever you do, always eat regularly! Boy am I guilty of this one but I also know how badly it feels when I do. You don't ever want to mess with an ulcer. Ugh, they hurt and then you can't move. Even if you don’t feel hungry in the morning, you need to eat something light like a small smoothie with fruits or nonfat Greek yogurt. Never skip breakfast, since eating breakfast helps kick-start your metabolism. If you are on a diet, drink smoothie shakes as snack throughout the day since the fiber and vitamins in the fruit will give you the nutrition you need.
- Be more active. Workout routine is one of the healthiest habits that will speed up your metabolism and keep you healthy. I know how amazing it feels when I run on a regular schedule and do my small workouts. I go from almost dying when I run one mile, to not even breaking a sweat. The feeling a few weeks later of regular exercising is quite priceless. My back pain just disappears! Getting a light workout of about 20 minutes every day will give you the energy you need to feel your best. Want another easy way, if you have kids, play with them games like tag, or one of my favorites pillow fights. You will get the benefits of being active and they will love you for it!
I hope these tips help you as much as they helped me. I always try to share what I learn and give my two cents in with my personal experience. I never post something I don't personally experience and helps me, sharing is how I learn.